Travel Log: City of Brotherly Love

My boyfriend and I just came back from a great trip to Philadelphia. I bought him tickets to the Flyers game for his birthday since he has been a long time obsessed fan. We stayed at the Sheraton City Center right downtown. Neither one of us had ever been there, so we didn't really have any expectations of the city either way. The first night there was interesting. We got in late night, checked into the hotel and headed out in search for Mac's Tavern in Olde City, owned by Rob & Kaitlin McElhenney of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. We are huge fans of the show so we thought it would be interesting. It was a slow night, which was perfect for us, and the server was very friendly. The food was pretty good. It was a little more upscale for pub food, if you like that kind of thing. I wouldn't go quit gastro pub (according to my boyfriend, a chef) but it was delicious anyways. I suggest getting a side of the sweet potato fries. Crispy and seasoned with cinnamon and sugar on the outside and warm and soft on the inside. Yum!

The next day we explored past City Hall to the Liberty Bell. It was a lot smaller then we had thought! I expected this huge bell and it really wasn't. A little bit of a let down, but non the less, a historic piece of history. Then we walked over to a little neighborhood called Society Hill. This is a very affluent area known for it's charming characteristics of cobblestone tree lined streets and brick row houses in Federal and Georgian architecture. Later on, we found an amazing gasto pub called Royal Tavern that had, hands down, some of the most amazing food I have ever eaten. I highly suggest trying this place out if your ever in the area. The atmosphere was very mellow, and felt very cozy. It was decorated in all darks and Christmas lights and played some great indie tunes all night long. Highly recommend.

After walking around some more, we stumbled upon South Street, made a left on 9th street, through the amazing scene of the Italian market and made our way to Genos Steaks. Chris got the cheese wiz and I got the provolone, and both lived up to the hype. On our way back to the hotel, we shopped through the Italian Market and found our selves in this amazing cheese shop called Di Bruno Brothers. They had the most amazing selections of aged cheeses from all over Italy;as well as everything else all Italian in the store. Since I'm always on the hunt to find the perfect cannoli, we were told by not one person, but by everyone we stopped to talk to, to go see the ladies at Isgro's Pasticceria on Christian Street. This place did not disappoint. It was like my grandmas baking all over again!! All the Italian pasties I grew up eating were staring at me from the glass showcase the second we walked in. I asked the lady if I could have a cannoli ( I actually got 3) and to my surprise, walked over to the counter and started filling an empty shell right in front of me. Amazing!! These little Italian ladies were working there asinos off, and they could not have been more sweet. I fell in love with this part of the city. All down 9th street you have vendors selling fresh seafood and fish, and veggies. There are butcher, pasta and pasty shops every where you look. Its tattered and looks run down, but that's the charm! Autentico!! If anything, that one neighborhood was worth the visit and I WILL be going back.

Finally, game time. We rode the Orange line down to the Wells Fargo Center and geared up in the souvenir shop before the game. It was amazing! hands down the best hockey game I have ever been to. The Flyers beat the Ottawa Senators 6-2. All in all the trip was a huge success and we both would love to go back!!


City Hall


Liberty Bell

Society Hill




Italian Market












No comments:

Post a Comment